- This event has passed.
Words & Worlds Camp
July 23 • 1:00 pm - July 27 • 4:00 pm• $197
Wordcrafters in Eugene is partnering with SIREN to create this special writing/performance camp. This camp serves to empower young women ages 14-18 by helping them to access their voices and share their stories, through the writing and performance of spoken word poetry. Words and Worlds will be held Monday through Friday, July 23rd to July 27th, from 1:00 to 4:00pm, outdoors at the Alton-Baker Park Picnic Structure.
- Explore how poetry is used to express thoughts, feelings and stories.
- Learn performance techniques that rockstar spoken word artists use to bring their work alive onstage.
- See how traditional poetic devices can be used in a modern spoken word context.
- Create and perform an original piece of spoken word poetry to be performed for family and friends at the end of camp.
- Co-create a camp poetry chapbook with an original work from each participant.
- Build Courage, Confidence, and a sense of Connection and Community.
Learn more about your CAMP COUNSELORS here.
COUNSELORS: Jorah LaFleur and Melissa Rose
Young Women* ages 14-18
Monday – Friday, July 23rd – 27th
1:00-4:00 pm (Friday until 4:30 pm)
Alton-Baker Park Picnic Structure
$197 (Scholarships available**)
Camp is limited to 12 participants.
*This program is for female-identified people. We use an inclusive definition of “girls”, “young women”, and “female” and we welcome trans girls, genderqueer young women, and non-binary people who are significantly female-identified.
**Scholarships: Two scholarships are available for camp. To apply, please write a brief statement (300 words or less) describing why you want to take this class and your financial need for a scholarship. Please include the following information with your statement:
- First and Last Name
- School/Grade/Age (homeschoolers welcome)
Please email your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org